02/02/2018

Film study: Schindler's List (1993)

One of my favourite things to do in my past time, funnily enough, is to watch films and sketch out my favourite sequences.
Not really something you do with other people as they might want to lob your head off for stopping the film so frequently but it is a lot of fun. 
I'll generally watch the film once first or have watched it before and then go back to draw a scene that really stuck with me (also sometimes the opening or ending sequence). 

Just quickly sketching out the scenes and thumbnailing out what's on the screen made it a lot clearer to see what the director or cinematographer intended with each shot. 


This weekend I was watching Speilberg's Schindler's List (1993) and was particularly drawn to how dominance was portrayed in a shot. From using lighting to character positioning and camera angles. 
Because the film was done in black and white, the use of lighting was very visible and made me realise how incredibly effective it can be. Especially when it comes to shifting power/dominance from one character to another.








No comments:

Post a Comment