20/01/2017

Dave McKean and my 'Man of Moons'

 I think Dave Mckean's work is haunting me. 

I mean they're everywhere I look. I must really be drawn to his illustrations because somehow, a peculiarly large amount of my favourite works are designed by him. 
From MirrorMask 2005 (one of my favourite films) to The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman (a book I love), his work is always there!


 If it sounds like I'm complaining, I assure you I'm not.
From what I have observed, his work seems to be a beautiful marriage between surrealism and cubism using mixed media. One of my favourite elements of his style is his clever use of collage to create texture while not making his pieces too 'busy'.




 This below is an interpretation of Mckean's distinctive style.  
I played around with the different elements of his work and created my own piece from it.


I normally don't name my digital paintings or paintings in general but I think this one just had to have one. 
I call it, Man of Moons and The Little Prince.

I wasn't really trying to draw anything in particular when I started off and was just experimenting with brushes and colours.
Somehow, however, a story appeared in the random characters and I loved it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment