22/11/2016

Surrealism & De Chirico

For another group project, I had to study and try to imitate Max Ernst's paintings and De Chirico.
I still have a lot more to work on but this is what I've observed and digitally painted so far. 

De Chirico, The Enigma of the Arrival and the Afternoon 1911-1912



This is a swatch I came up with from observing his different paintings.






Using the same angels that appear in almost all of De Chirico's paintings, I tried to apply it to a background concept piece for the project.

I struggled with finding the balance between the darker areas and the light.
I also learnt very quickly that the colour black was never really used for his extreme shadows but dark greens and reds instead.


For some reason, this was my favourite part of the digital painting I did.
I really like how subtle the circular window looks.
Compared to the other areas of the digital painting, this area looks most like a real painting and also naturally three dimensional.

Reminds me a lot of Shaun Tan's work and his paintings.



No comments:

Post a Comment