07/11/2016

Character designs for 'Muse in the Museum'

Recently working on my friends Pick N' Mix project and I was put in charge of coming up with some character designs.
My friend already had some rough sketches of how she wanted her characters to look like and what their personalities are like in the story.

As the style she got marries very well with the style found in 50's cartoons, we decided to stick to that for inspiration for how the characters might look.

Using block colours and clear shapes.


I look a lot at The Jetsons and Rocky and Bullwinkel.
I really liked the different range of shaped used for each character.
From ovals to tear drops and simple circular heads.

This one was my first attempt at Thaila, our protagonist in this story.
Her character is the Greek goddess of comedy so I tried to find ways to convey her personality through the colours and her pose.
Wasn't very happy with this one although I did like the fact she didn't look conventionally feminine.
I was trying my best to go away from the tiny waist and pink tones.



 This was the final design I ended up with which I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.
Most importantly, my friend was very please with the design.
I found that putting in the paper texture somehow made all the shapes and colours work together a lot smoother.



No comments:

Post a Comment