27/04/2016

James Gurney

James Gurney.
My childhood memories are decorated with his illustrations.
My parents love to read and shared this with us by filling our library with a wonderful range of books.
Learning to read was a struggle when I was younger so the books I bonded the most to were always to heavily illustrated ones.

Even though 'Dinotopia' and 'The voyage of the Basset' were probably some of the biggest and hardest books to read when I was little, the world was always there for me to explore with my own imagination in Gurney's illustrations.





As you can probably tell I am and was completely in love with his illustrations.
I've always thought it was the level of detail he used but now I think it was also how he made fiction blend with reality using colours too. There is no way humans can really know how to we would interact with dinosaurs/fey folk but his drawings make it seems like its our second nature.


By painting the creatures and environment using realistic lighting and natural tones, all the elements just blend together. 
It seems to gives the creatures a sense of weight and with that, life!
"It's like magic!"








No comments:

Post a Comment